Tuesday, January 14, 2014

It Feels so Good!



We're all getting older. It's a fact. There's nothing we can do to avoid the inevitable. Look at those of us in the group called "The Baby Boomers". The oldest of us in the group are almost 70. I particularly have reason to be concerned about brain "band width" because I have MS. Aside from exercise and diet (I eat close to 100 lbs. of wild blueberries per year) one of the things we can do is challenge ourselves by learning new skills. A few years ago I decided to take up knitting. I like the finished product - I admire beautiful garments that have been hand knit. I love the colors of the yarn and the comfort of the soft fiber sliding through my hands. It's been alternately fun and frustrating. At times, I've been so upset with a project that my husband's asked me why I continue to pursue an activity that makes me so angry. I guess I look at my knitting the same way I look at any accomplishment I admire. Art, architecture, music, cooking, even successful marriages and parenting take dedication, devotion and skill. And when you can step back and admire the results, I swear, it's better than any medication ever prescribed. 

5 comments:

  1. I recently took up knitting at age 56, after having a short time of knitting when I was 12! I have to go slow and not so often because of arthritis but I can relate to everything you have said in your post! Inspirational! Visiting from Thursday Favorite Things and following you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am honored that you think we are minis of each other!! You look so fabulous and I love your No Secrets post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment but I think we look like long lost sisters! :)

      Delete
  3. You have the results to prove it. Projects that are so easy there's no frustration or learning curve are rarely worth admiration at the end, I've found! Looking great, kiddo.
    What are your facial exercises, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The exercises were from 1970's magazine article by Bonnie Prudden (who died fairly recently I believe). I think the one that helps me the most is closing my eyes using only the lower lids. Try it - you feel muscles you didn't know you had! Crazy, right?

      Delete